The web team is in a bit of a situation. You see, we’ve been having numerous problems with the forums recently, including but not limited to:
- Not being able to log in AT ALL into the Moderator Control Panel or Administration Control Panels intermittently
- The ‘Edit’ button being broken for over a year
- ‘Delete posts as spam’ not working intermittently
- Spam getting worse every day, we recently had someone post sexually explicit and extremely objectionable to the boards which we had trouble deleting since the forum software is so horrendously broken
- And the most recent incident where confidential user data has *somehow* been leaked to spammers.
This leaves us to conclude that there must have been some exploit performed on the board. This is an extremely bad security risk and as of now the forums have been locked down until we replace them.
However, we can no longer use vBulletin. Asides from our trust being lost in its security for a product we PAID for and the fact that it is a proprietary product which, as an open source project, we cannot support, our licence key as well as user name and password for downloading the forums software has gone missing which means that we cannot upgrade the forum software.
Guillaume and I consulted with the council and a majority decision was made (2 FORs, 2 ABSTEINs, 1 NOT PRESENT) to say ‘good riddance’ to vBulletin and move onto phpBB.
phpBB has the tools for us to import the existing database as well as the theme. Guillaume made it clear that he would rather spend time adjusting the theme so that it works on phpBB rather than fixing broken proprietary software.
edit 1: the new forum has been made – no theme as of yet; it will be ready soon-ish